The objectives and tasks of the Slovenian Academy of Engineering are as follows:
- to stimulate the acquisition of the top-level technical knowledge that provides the basis for technological progress and a balanced, sustainable development;
- to promote the role and influence of technical experts in society in general and when dealing with issues relating to the economy and development;
- to assess and give opinions on the conditions and development of technical sciences and disciplines, research and education;
- to discuss basic issues relating to innovations and the organisation of the economy with regard to technological development;
- to be involved in the formation of policies relating to research, technology and innovations;
- to propose measures for enhancing innovations, increasing the quality of research-and-development activities and fostering the transfer of research achievements and innovations to the economy;
- to be involved in forming the policy and the programmes of training technicians and engineers at all educational levels;
- to enhance international cooperation in its areas of operation;
- to promote the development and use of Slovenian terminology in the areas of technical sciences and disciplines;
- to produce regular and occasional publications; to organise and support national and international discussions, conferences, panels and other meetings in the areas of engineering and business;
- to present annual and occasional awards for exceptional achievements in the areas of engineering and business, promoting engineering activities;
- to carry out other tasks aimed at fostering the effectiveness of engineering activities and reinforcing the role of engineers in society.
To realise its tasks the IAS sets up permanent and temporary bodies including, in addition to its own members, colleagues from the areas of the economy, research-and-development activities, and all the other areas that complement the basic tasks of the IAS. The IAS cooperates with national and international institutions and companies operating in the same fields of activity.